Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ah, A New Love: My Big Redneck Wedding

Just to be clear: I'm not a redneck! I was raised in the suburbs of LA, went to college on the East Coast, have lived & traveled in Europe, have never had Budweiser or Coors out of a can (but will fess up to drinking them out of a keg--but what college kid hasn't!), have only shopped at WalMart once (to buy a costume for a "White Trash" Halloween Party), have all my teeth, have ever been to or watched a NASCAR race, and have never considered denim or camouflage formal wear.

BUT...I so love My Big Redneck Wedding on CMT!!! Stumbled upon on four hour marathon last night while channel surfing...and OMG...I've never been so amused, befuddled, horrified, and sucked in to anything in my life!!! Ok, there was Amish in the City, but that's been a few years now. It takes a lot for a reality show to suck me in. I'm not a fan of the genre, but occasionally a gem like this can win me over.

For me, never having visited the redneck zoo & seeing the inhabitants up close, this is as close as I've ever come and they are fascinating. I can't pick a favorite episode (and I'm pretty sure I've seen them all). Each one has something that makes it unique and as stunning as the last.

All I've got to say is where else can you get:

--reception mud wrestling & mattress surfing
--beer can arches
--florists being asked to put flowers in beer cans instead of vases
--camouflage bridal outfits
--camisole & denim mini-skirt bridesmaids outfits/jeans & t-shirt outfits
--tractors bringing the bride to the alter
--ex-felon minister's who got "ordained" while incarcerated in the CA state prison system
--a bride who is looking for her teeth before walking down the aisle
--grooms, and various bridal party members, missing teeth
--wedding gifts that have been won out of the "claw" machine at the bowling alley
--wedding party participants (including the bride & groom) constantly walking around with a beer can in their hand/in a paper bag
--riding up to the drive-thru liquor store on a horse to place your keg order of Bud and Coors light for the reception
--a marriage proposal made by the groom peeing "Will you marry me?" in the dirt while the couple was delivering newspapers on one of their paper routes.

Tell me...where can you get all that?!?!?!?

Now you see why this show has found a special place in my heart.

All I can say is that I hope this gets picked up for more episodes because I think I may be lost without this show!

No comments: