Friday, March 28, 2008

This is Just How the Boston Tea Party Started

I have a question.

Earlier today I was on my way out of Target (Pasadena) when I decided to stop and get a drink at the Starbucks in the store. I ordered my usual--venti Iced Green Tea, unsweetened, easy ice--which according to the board is $2.10. I know whenever I go to the stand-alone Starbucks stores around the LA-area, I always pay $2.10 exactly, no state/local taxes. Before the cashier even tells me my total, I have the exact change in my hand.

But this afternoon, my tea cost $2.27--$2.10 for the iced tea & $0.17 in tax (CA state tax of 8.25%), according to my receipt.



My question: Why was I charged tax at a Starbucks at Target, but I've never paid tax at any of the other Starbucks in the area?

I would have asked the cashier, but she looked like she was still in high school and probably unfamiliar with the intricacies of the state tax code on beverages. Besides, if the employees & managers at Boston Market don't know how many ounces are in a pound, I'm not expecting much from a barista. For some reason, I'm doubting she would have understood my references to the Boston Tea Party. (Yes, I have that little faith in the Pasadena Unified School District.)

UPDATE: Ok, I figured it out and realized I got overcharged. Did a little Google research and was reminded that drinks consumed in the store are taxed, but drinks that are "to go" are not. Starbucks tends to not charge local taxes unless someone actually says "for here." (I've always noticed that Coffee Bean always asks so they can charge the right tax.) I'm not against paying the tax, but will admit that when asked, I do tend to say my order is "to go" even if I do stick around and consume it on the premises. But, in this case, I was not staying in the store to consume my beverage (ambiance was totally lacking), nor was I asked if it was "for here"/"to go." Thus, I was overcharged.

How outraged am I? Not so much. My laziness outweighs my need to recoup my 17-cents. Besides, maybe those 17-cents will be put towards education and make a difference in the skill level of the future high school kids working in the food & beverage industry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just went through the same thing with them. and I called cutomer service and they are going to ask their tax team and get back to me. I will keep you posted

Unknown said...

I think if you look at your receipt you didnt really have the for here or to go option. they are charging tax.