Saturday, January 26, 2008

Music: The Beautiful & The Tragic

I'm in love with Burial's album Untrue.

I've owned it for a while now, and I'm just now really listening and paying attention to it.

This is the album I didn't know I'd been searching for all these months. Love, Love, Love. Haunting and beautiful.

Have to admit, a downside of music downloads and iPods, I don't buy CDs anymore (well, unless it's one of my all time favorite artists who have been tested and proven). I used to buy CDs, maybe one or two or three at a time and spend the next week or two listening to them over and over again, at least 5 or 6 times all the way through before I would skip through to my favorite tracks. But now, I buy in bulk (yes, I appreciate the cheaper prices), and often don't get around to listening to the albums I download for weeks or months, or listen to them passively while working or driving as the tracks play through on the iPod. And I never listen to them in chronological order--my iTunes & iPod are permanently set to do the shuffle. So, it's rare that I can give you a full and complete track listening, in order at that, like I used to with CDs. And when I finally do listen attentively, I'm often shocked to find hidden gems like Burial that have been just waiting for me to come around. Such a pity really.

No comments: