Monday, October 29, 2007

Interpol @ The Forum

Saw Interpol at the Forum last Tuesday. My second time seeing them live. Saw them at Coachella in April. They are a great live band. Their vocals and playing hold up well. I hate going to concerts and discovering that a(n) artist/band doesn't hold up live. I don't want to find out that I should really be crediting the studio engineers for my favorite artist's sound.

Anyways, Interpol was great. They did a good mix of older stuff and newer material. The only song I wished they'd done was "Take You on a Cruise." But they did everything else so I'm happy.

Can't say much for their opening act--The Liars. They weren't bad. Just couldn't get into them. A little distracted by the fact that the lead singer's facial structure very much resembles Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. Actually, his whole persona was very Steven Tyler.

This was my first time back in the Forum in probably 20 years (back when the Lakers & Kings still played there). Nice to see it's going for a nostalgic look--the bathrooms clearly haven't been touched since everyone moved over to Staples, and I see they've kept some of the purple & gold color scheme?!?! Had never been there for a concert before. Can't say I'd really want to go back. It wasn't bad, but the acoustics weren't great (not that any arena is ever really good), and it felt more like being in a high school gym. Also, parking is a rip off. Twenty-two dollars! Seriously!?!?! But they know you have no other option given that it's Inglewood and most people, like myself, value their personal safety and don't want to even attempt street parking in that area.

No comments: